Friday, October 3, 2008

Kaki Fry


I was first introduced to Kaki Fry in Miyajima, which is a world famous heritage park outside of Hiroshima. It is also an area famous for its delicious oysters. It was November and the weather was sunny and cold. My husband and I were starving after having taken the ferry across the bay to tour the beautifully preserved shrine and park. We had fed the deer and dutifully looked for the wild monkeys, and now it was time to eat lunch.
When I ordered Kaki Fry I had no idea what to expect. Two enormous deep fried oysters, drizzled in tonkatsu sauce, were balanced on top of a shredded cabbage garnish: crisp and crunchy, melt-in-your-mouth taste sensations. I am now a kaki fry addict. Every September, as soon as summer is over, my husband rescues our deep fryer from the bottom of our storage tansu (chest of drawers) and races out to our favourite fish market to buy fresh delicious oysters. We gorge on them for several weeks and then put away the deep fryer until the New Year.


Deep Fried Oysters (serves 4)

Ingredients:
2 dozen fresh shucked oysters
3-4 eggs
tempura flour
panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper
tonkatsu sauce
shredded cabbage salad
cooked rice
lemon wedges


Method:

-rinse oysters in running water, pat dry

-season oysters with salt and pepper

-dredge in tempura flour

-dip in beaten egg

-dredge in panko crumbs

-deep fry until golden brown

-serve with rice and cabbage salad and lemon wedges

-drizzle tonkatsu sauce over oysters


*I mix shredded cabbage with slivered carrot, chopped green onion, and cooked corn, and dress with vinaigrette dressing

*I don't cook white rice anymore because of my husband's high sugar levels (borderline diabetic). Instead I mix 1/3 white rice, 1/3 brown rice, and 1/3 barley and cook together in rice cooker

3 comments:

Helen said...

I am a total oyster addict but I have only ever eaten them 'au natrel'! I absolutely love the idea of frying them like this - delicious! Totally worth getting your fryer out once a year for.

A-Mao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A-Mao said...

Oh, I tasted this dish twice in Japan and am really missing it. Those people are good in frying, especially for flash ingredients.